Monday, June 2, 2014

The Crochet Project

First sentences are always a bitch.  No matter how clever I try to be, I usually just sound like an idiot or a jerk.   And let's face it, when I'm thinking of what to write in the shower,  I always sound more clever than I actually am.

And another thing, writing well is a lot like good taste and a sense of humor.  Everyone thinks they have good taste and a good sense of humor, but in truth not many of us actually do.  If we are lucky in life, we have many friends who have one or the other, and sometimes we get really lucky and have a friend who has both.  Thus, I am not much of a writer; I'm more of a think-out-loud-on-paper type communicator.


So, why Uganda and why now?  Many of you may know that for the past four years or so, I have been a volunteer grant writer for the Pallisa Community Development Trust or PACODET.  PACODET is located in Kapuwai Village, near Pallisa township, in Pallisa District of Eastern Uganda.  PACODET is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that works to improve life for the 60,000+ residents in the area it serves through food security, integrated rural community health services and agricultural/environmental projects and initiatives.

I will spend 7 months on this trip to teach about 12 to 14 women whose lives have been affected by HIV/AIDS how to crochet.  Together we will set up a micro business to sell these items first in the local markets, and later on, hopefully, we will expand upward and outward.  I have very high hopes for this project.  I want these women to succeed in every possible way and I'm willing to work myself to death to help them achieve that goal.

I leave for Uganda on Sunday, June 8, 2014.  Posts to this blog will be made weekly, and some times more often if there is more to share.

Hope you enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment